Hoarding has become more commonplace in the Unites States. Recent studies show that compulsive hoarding currently affects up to 6 percent of the population, or 19 million U.S. residents. When you face hoarding issues, rely on Berkeley hoarding cleanup services you can trust: Casa Azul Cleaning Services.
We are a society driven by consumption and it has pushed many to unparalleled extremes.
This has also put hoarding at the forefront of the numerous challenges becoming more common and widespread in society today.
This article will explain the causes, issues and how to properly handle a hoarding issue.
What Is Hoarding?
Hoarding has been classified as a disorder where the person experiences extreme stress and anxiety at the mere thought of getting rid of items.
Medical professionals say that hoarding can present in a person on its own or as a symptom of another mental disorder such as obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) or attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
How Do You Identify Hoarding?
You might argue that many people have more stuff than they need or who have filled their rooms up with items yet they are not classified as hoarders.
Several factors can help differentiate between hoarders and messy people. You know it is hoarding when:
- the individual feels a strong need to save items, getting upset at just the thought of parting with an item regardless of its lack of financial or sentimental value
- items are being incessantly acquired without rhyme or reason and space is running out to keep them
- the clutter is not limited to a single room but rather has overwhelmed the entire living space to the point where there is barely any room to move and, in fact, movement is difficult and dangerous
- the place of residence has deteriorated to a point where there are serious health concerns for the residents
- the person’s family life, social life, and relationships are getting affected because of this habit
- the items in the house are littered about in disorganized fashion and not proudly exhibited as collectors often do with their hobbies
What Leads To Hoarding?
Many people may think that individuals consciously decide to become hoarders and lay unnecessary blame on them. However, that is not the case.
There is no clear explanation of what causes hoarding disorder. What we do know is that people with specific personality traits such as indecisiveness and being temperamental are at greater risk of developing hoarding disorder.
Stressful life events and a family history of hoarding also make you more vulnerable to the disorder.
The Challenges A Hoarder Faces
Hoarding is not a desirable trait and even the person with the disorder knows it and struggles with it daily.
However, the struggle isn’t just about the difficulty in getting rid of items or suffering from cramped quarters.
The challenges a person with the hoarding disorder faces are numerous and wide-ranging such as:
- loneliness and isolation
- depression, anxiety, and low self-esteem
- health risk due to unsanitary living conditions and cramped quarters
- family conflict
- legal issues such as eviction
Berkeley Hoarding Cleanup Services Is The First Step In Managing A Hoarding Disorder
If anyone you know is suffering from a hoarding disorder and needs help, then the first order of business is to enlist the services of a professional cleanup business.
You might think asking professionals to clean up clutter might be overkill.
However, a hoarder’s home has often not seen any cleaning for a very long time. You can find rotting food, insect infestation, foul smells, and disease-causing trash littered everywhere.
Cleaning up such things along with the typical dirt, grime and de-cluttering is the job of a well-reputed professional.
Our cleaners are experienced in the business, have dealt with all kinds of hoarding situations, and are dedicated to delivering the highest quality of service.
Additionally, we come with the best equipment and products to make sure that, when we are done, the person really feels they are getting a “fresh” start.
So, if you need hoarding cleanup services then call us today and let us join you in giving someone you love a bright new start.